For any further information about privacy and data protection, you can contact us on our email (email@example.com).
This notice applies to users of Taxiye’s services in Ethiopia and Africa, including users of Taxiye apps and websites.It describes how Taxiye collect and use data. This notice applies to all Taxiye users in Ethiopia and Africa. This notice specifically applies to:
- Passengers: individuals who request or receive transport and related services via their Taxiye passenger account.
- Drivers: individuals who provide transport to Passengers via Taxiye driver accounts
The above two subjected to this notice are referred to as “users” in this notice. Our privacy practices are subject to applicable laws in the places in which we operate. This means that we engage in the practices described in this notice in a particular country or region only if permitted under the laws of those places.
1. The Information We Collect
When you use the Taxiye Platform, we collect the information you provide, usage information, and information about your device. We also collect information about you from optional programs in which you participate, which we may combine with other information we have about you. Here are the types of information we collect about you:
Information You Provide to Us
- Account Registration:- When you create an account with Taxiye, we collect the information you provide us, such as your name, email address, phone number, sexual orientation and profile image. You may choose to share your email address, sexual orientation and profile image.
- Driver Information:- If you apply to be a Driver, we will collect the information you provide in your application, including your name, email address, phone number, sexual orientation, profile photo, government identification id, driving license information, vehicle information(including ownership certificate and vehicle photo), employment agreement or authorization letter if the driver is different from the owner and vehicle insurance information. We may also ask for additional business license or permit information or other information to manage driving and programs relevant. We may need additional information from you at some point after you become a Driver, including information to confirm your identity (like a photo), Information about disputes and data about criminal convictions and offenses.
- Ratings and Feedback:- When you rate and provide feedback about Riders or Drivers, we collect all of the information you provide in your feedback.
- Communications:- When you contact us or we contact you, we collect any information that you provide, including the contents of the messages or attachments you send us.
- Emergency Contacts:- We collect the name and phone number of the people you choose from your contact list if your device permissions is set to grant Taxiye access to your contact lists and we will contact them in case of emergency. You may choose to grant device permission to access your contact and select contacts to be reached incase of emergency.
- Identification of Goods:- When you request for a delivery service, we collect identification image of the goods or material you want to be delivered at which we will collect and share with our drivers to be used as reference when picking up from the specified pick up location. You may choose to upload the identification image or not.
Information We Collect When You Use the Platform
- Location Information:- Great rides start with an easy and accurate pickup. Our platform collects Geolocation information such as pick up and destination of a journey
- Usage Information:- We collect information about your use of the Platform, including ride information like the date, time, destination, distance, route, payment, and whether you used a promotional or referral code.
- Device Information:- We collect information about the devices you use to access our platform, including device model, IP address, preferences and settings (such as preferred language), application installations, device identifiers.
2. How We Use Your Information
We process collected data to enable reliable and convenient transport, delivery and other products and services. We use your personal information to:
Provide the Taxiye ride hailing Platform
- Setup your account by defining your profile detail and your profile image
- Verify your identity and maintain your account, settings, and preferences
- Connect you to your rides and track their progress
- Calculate prices and process payments
- Allow Riders and Drivers to connect regarding their ride and to choose to share their location with others
- Communicate with you about your rides and experience
- Facilitate the verification of goods and materials to be delivered by sharing identification image shared by passengers to our drivers to be accessed only while in ride
- Allow you to select your loved one's contact detail to be reached incase of emergency
- Collect feedback regarding your experience
- Facilitate additional services and programs with third parties
- Operate contests, sweepstakes, and other promotions
Maintaining the Security and Safety of the Taxiye Platform and its Users
- Authenticate users
- Verify that Drivers and their vehicles meet safety requirements
- Investigate and resolve incidents, accidents, and insurance claims
- Communicate to legal authorities and your loved ones incase of emergency
- Encourage safe driving behavior and avoid unsafe activities
- Find and prevent fraud
- Block and remove unsafe or fraudulent users from the Taxiye Platform
Building and Maintaining the Taxiye Community
- Communicate with you about events, promotions, elections, and campaigns
- Personalize and provide content, experiences, communications, and advertising to promote and grow the Taxiye Platform
Providing Customer Support
- Investigate and assist you in resolving questions or issues you have regarding the Taxiye Platform
- Provide you support or respond to you
Improving the Taxiye Platform
- Perform research, testing, and analysis
- Develop new products, features, partnerships, and services
- Prevent, find, and resolve software or hardware bugs and issues
- Monitor and improve our operations and processes, including security practices, algorithms, and other modeling
Responding to Legal Proceedings and Requirements
- Sometimes the law, government entities, or other regulatory bodies impose demands and obligations on us with respect to the services we seek to provide. In such a circumstance, we may use your personal information to respond to those demands or obligations.
3. Legal Basis
Up on agreeing and submitting the above information we are allowed allowed to use personal information in the ways described above if we have a proper reason to do so. We always make sure we have a good reason for doing anything with your data.
- Personal data is generally processed in order to provide the services contracted through the Taxiye app with you. This means that to give you the service we promised you, and to meet our terms and conditions, we’ll process your personal data to meet those obligations.
- For drivers, personal data is processed for the performance of the contract concluded with the driver. The prerequisite for the use of the Taxiye services is the processing of driver's identification and geo location data.
- We generally in other circumstances process your personal data relying on legitimate interest grounds. Legitimate interests include our commercial interests in providing an innovative, personalized, safe and profitable service to our passengers and partners, unless those interests are overridden by other interests. Our legitimate interests also include things like investigating and detecting fraudulent payments and other malicious activities, maintaining the security of our network and systems, and responding to suspected or actual criminal acts.
- Data regarding the criminal convictions and offenses is processed for compliance with a legal obligation.
We may from time to time rely on alternative legal bases when:
- It is necessary to comply with a legal obligation such as for processing data when the law requires it, including, for example, if there is a valid legal request to disclose personal information to a third party such as a Court or regulatory authority;
- To protect your vital interests, or those of others, for example in the event of an emergency or an imminent threat to life; or
- You have given us clear consent to do so for another specific purpose in which you have been fully informed.
If you choose not to give us personal information it may prevent us from fulfilling the contract with you, or stop us doing something expected of us in law. It may also mean that we cannot operate your account. For example, we collect and process the personal data submitted by you in the course of installing and using the Taxiye app; refusing to share geolocation data via the App means we cannot direct a driver to your location for pick-up, nor can we show you one of our own vehicles close to you for hire. We will not be able to fulfil our obligations to you in other circumstances, for example, should you refuse to undertake an identity verification check to ensure the integrity of your account, and then the account may be suspended or blocked to prevent fraud.
We only work with trusted partners and authorities. We only share when there is a proper reason to do so. We limit sharing to only that which is required. We do not sell your personal information.
- The personal data of the passenger is only disclosed to the ride-hailing drivers when they engage with a ride on in the Taxiye app; in such a case, the driver will see the name, phone number and geo location data of the passenger.
- The personal data of the driver is only disclosed to passengers, whose order has been accepted by the driver. Passengers will see driver's name, vehicle, phone number, photo and geolocation data. Passengers also see driver's personal data in the receipt.
- Feedback given by passengers and drivers regarding the quality of the ride-hailing service is anonymous. Your rating is private between you and Taxiye.
- Depending on the location of the driver, the personal data may be disclosed to the Taxiye call center staffs in order to connect passengers who call on the call center looking for a driver.
- In some circumstances we are legally obliged to share information with external recipients. For example, under a Court Order or where we cooperate with a data protection supervisory authority in handling complaints or investigations. We can also respond to requests, such as those from law enforcement agencies, when we have a good-faith belief that the response is required by law in that jurisdiction or furthers a public interest task, affects users in that jurisdiction, and is consistent with internationally recognized standards. In any scenario, we’ll always satisfy ourselves that we have a lawful basis on which to share the information, and we’ll make sure that we document our decision.
5. Processing passengers’ personal data (For Drivers)
- You may not process the personal data of passengers without the permission of us. You may not contact any passenger or collect, record, store, grant access, use or cross-use the personal data provided by the passenger or accessible to you via the Taxiye app for any reason other than for the purposes of fulfilling the transportation services.
- If you violate the requirements for the processing of personal data of passengers, we may terminate your drivers account and claim damages from you
6. Your rights and controls
We want you to stay in control of your personal data. Taxiye provides you with controls through the app where you can view your personal information including your profile data and trip history. We also offer in-app settings like marketing options, and transparent cookie consent controls on our website.
- Your right of access: You can access your personal data via the Taxiye app. You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information. There are some exemptions, such as when we have to balance the rights of others, which means you may not always receive all the information we process.
- Your right to erasure: You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing: You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances. This means that your data can only be used for certain things, such as legal claims or to exercise legal rights.
- You’re right to object to processing: You may have the right to object to processing if we are processing your information on the basis of legitimate interests. You may submit an objection to any automated decision we have made, and ask that a person reviews it.
- You’re right to data portability: You have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us from one organization to another, or give it to you, in certain circumstances. This only applies to information you have given us.
7. Security, Access, Correction, Retention, Deletion and Data portability
Taxiye retains user data for only as long as necessary for the purposes described above. This means that we retain different categories of data for different periods of time depending on the type of data, the transportation service it relates to, and the purposes for which we collected the data.
- Any personal data collected in the course of providing our services is transferred to and stored in the data centers
- Only authorized employees of Taxiye have access to the personal data and they may access the data only for the purpose of resolving issues associated with the use of the services (including disputes regarding transportation services).
- Taxiye can access personal data to the extent necessary to provide customer support in the respective country.
- Your personal data will be stored as long as you have an active passenger/driver account. If your account is closed, personal data will be deleted (according to our retention schedule and rules), unless such data is still required to meet any legal obligation, or for accounting, dispute resolution or fraud prevention purposes.
- Personal data submitted by drivers can be viewed and corrected in Taxiye Driver Portal.
- Financial data regarding transportation services provided to passengers will be stored for three years after the last journey. Data required for other accounting purposes will be stored for seven years after the last journey.
- You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances. This means that your data can only be used for certain things, such as legal claims or to exercise legal rights.
- In the event of a suspected criminal offense, fraudulent activity or false information having been provided, the data will be stored for up to 10 years.
- In case of payment disputes, data will be retained until the claim is satisfied or the expiry date of such claims.
- Journey history data and the data about usage of transportation services will be stored for three years, after which the data will be anonymized.
- We respond to the request for deleting and transferring personal data submitted by an e-mail within a month and specify the period of data deletion and transfer.
Please note that the reinstallation of Taxiye app in your device does not cause the deletion of your personal data up to three years.
8. Direct Marketing
- We may send direct marketing messages to your e-mail address and/or phone number. We may personalize direct marketing messages using information on how you use Taxiye services, such as how frequently you use the Taxiye app, and your transportation preferences.
- If you no longer wish to receive direct marketing messages, please click the "Unsubscribe" link in the footer of one of our emails, or opt-out in the profile section of the Taxiye app.
9. Dispute Resolution
- Disputes relating to the processing of personal data are resolved through customer support (firstname.lastname@example.org).
10. Making this notice great
We hope you have found this privacy notice easy to understand. Data protection laws are important, they strengthen rules and enhance your information rights. Many of these rules may appear complicated, but most are grounded in common sense. We take our responsibilities with your data seriously. Taxiye will continue to make changes to this privacy notice as part of our commitment to protecting your privacy and affording you even more transparency.